Clear Furnace Vents of Snow or Risk Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

January 15, 2018

snowy house

Don’t get blindsided by carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. During the winter months, it’s important to keep your furnace vents, intake valves and chimneys free of snow. Blocked vents could cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home and cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

A blocked vent also can affect the performance of the furnace, which may not run properly or at all when the intake or exhaust vent is blocked.

Fresh intake pipes usually look like white plastic tubes coming out of the side or back of your house. Even if snow accumulation hasn’t reached your vents, blowing and drifting snow can be enough to create a problem.

As a precaution, if you have a carbon monoxide detector, make sure the batteries are working. If you suspect you have a carbon monoxide issue immediately open doors and windows and leave your home.

Common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Dull headache

  • Weakness

  • Dizziness

  • Nausea or vomiting

  • Shortness of breath

  • Confusion

  • Blurred vision

  • Loss of consciousness

Carbon monoxide leaks can come from heating systems and ventilation problems, that’s why it’s important to have an HVAC company like A.J. Perri perform annual furnace maintenance on your system.

If you’re concerned about blocked furnace vents at your home, contact A.J. Perri or schedule maintenance service online now.


Call or Book Today

Experts are standing by to help you. We’re available 7 days a week.

Last Updated: July 02, 2024