As Thanksgiving approaches, you are likely taking an inventory of the things for which you are grateful. We hope you have many. In case you hadn’t considered, we’d like to take this opportunity to add yet another modern comfort to your list this Thanksgiving season: indoor plumbing.
Most of us have long been accustomed to the convenience of having multiple bathrooms, and even kitchens, in our homes and businesses.
However, many Americans today continue to live without the luxury of complete indoor plumbing.
According to The Washington Post, the American Community Survey published this year identified that the number of occupied homes in the United States that lack complete plumbing is close to 630,000.
So, in honor of bathroom fixtures and PVC pipes everywhere, here are the top five reasons we are thankful for our indoor plumbing.
5. Your bathroom sure beats an outhouse, which normally doesn’t come with modern day comforts like heating and 3-ply toilet tissue.
4. Single-use bath water. It wasn’t that long ago that bathtubs and showers were not common fixtures in homes. Many of our grandparents, and even parents, were forced to lug water from wells or to catch rainwater in buckets. They didn’t waste it.
3. Running water makes cooking dinner for your family much more palatable. Next time you are fixing a meal, try counting how many times you turn on the water. We bet you’ll be surprised- and that much more thankful for your indoor faucet.
2. Washing clothes is a hands-off chore with the aid of modern washing machines. We doubt we enjoy folding laundry anymore than you do, but can you imagine washing everything by hand?
1. Our livelihood. We are thankful daily for the opportunity to earn a living in the plumbing industry. We love that the plumbing industry provides so many comforts, conveniences and life-saving benefits to those fortunate to have access to indoor plumbing.
We hope we have inspired you to create your own list of things you are grateful for. If your plumbing or drains aren’t making the cut, please give us a call. We will be thankful you did.