If the home you grew up in was anything like ours, your mom had a lot to say about how to do things, especially about how to save money. But if you’re anything like we were growing up, you weren’t paying much attention. You weren’t footing the bill for much back then anyway, and staying cool meant not caring what Mom said. So mom’s advice went unappreciated. However, now that you are paying for the air conditioning, you may wish you had listened. We'll save you the embarrassment of admitting Mom was right. Here are 6 tips to save money on your air conditioning this summer, because we all know now that staying cool means saving money.
1. Clean or replace your air filter every month. Unless you have a filter that lasts for three months, you should be removing your dirty filter monthly and replacing it with a new one to allow air to flow freely. Dirt and dust build up on your air filter, causing your air conditioner to work harder and use more energy to cool your home. Take our advice, buy three filters at a time and write the date to replace on the side of the filter to help you remember.
2. Check all of the air duct returns in your home regularly to ensure they are open. People are often surprised to discover they’ve forgotten about a vent in less used or spare rooms of their home. It doesn’t do any good to spend money on air conditioning and leave the vent closed.
3. Save money by installing and using ceiling fans, correctly. You can fool your brain into thinking the room is cooler than it is by using a ceiling fan to blow air across your skin. A ceiling fan won't lower the temperature of the room, but the moving air will make you feel more comfortable. However, be sure to adjust the direction of the blades every season however. Your fan should rotate counterclockwise in the summer. Turning fans off when you leave a room will save you even more
4. Install a programmable thermostat. Mom may not have had this kind of technology back then, but we’re sure she’d take advantage of it now. Many of the latest thermostat models on the market today come equipped with the ability to adjust to your daily and weekly schedules and can even be controlled remotely from any computer, tablet, or smart phone.
5. Simple but effective. Close your curtains and blinds during the day and avoid using heat-producing appliances. Don’t overlook the simple things that add up to big savings. Your mom would be so proud.
6. Don’t Neglect to Maintain Your Air Conditioning. Your air conditioner needs annual maintenance to perform at its peak. Having your system tuned up every summer can increase your air conditioner’s efficiency by up to 20%, as well as extend the life of your system up to five years. A licensed, reputable technician will clean the condenser, ensure your system has enough refrigerants, and ensure that your system has adequate airflow over the coil.
We hope you will use our tips this summer to save on your utility bills. We also hope you will schedule your air conditioning tune-up today. Don’t worry, we promise not to tell your mom.