Garbage disposals are great appliances to have. But if you don’t operate or maintain it properly, it can require expensive repairs and cause drain nightmares.
Here are a few dos and don’ts to extend its life and prevent plumbing and drain mishaps:
- Use a strong flow of cold water (never hot) when you grind food.
- Grind peelings of citrus fruits to freshen up drain smells.
- Grind some hard materials such as small chicken and fish bones. The souring action created will clean the disposal walls.
- Pour a little dish soap in the disposal after washing dishes and let the cold water run for a minute or so.
- Pour grease or fat into your garbage disposal. It will impede its grinding ability and eventually clog the drain.
- Use hot water with your disposal. Hot water will cause grease to liquefy and clog the disposal.
- Put expandable foods like rice in the disposal. These food expand like t hey do in a pot and will clog your drain.
- Grind fibrous materials like corn husks or onion skins. These fibers can tangle and jam the disposal.
If you do have a clogged disposal or drain, call a professional plumber to fix it before it becomes a major problem.