Don't Forget to Add Heating Safety To Your Holiday Checklist
January 04, 2016
Are you aware that half of home heating fires are reported during the months of December, January and February? More home fires occur on Christmas Day than any other day except Thanksgiving.
While this sounds alarming the good thing is most heating related fires can be prevented if you follow a few safety practices.
In an effort to lower energy costs many homeowners like to use alternate heating sources for their homes. Alternate heating sources include fireplaces, space heaters, and the like. While this may sound like a good idea initially, the truth is the increased use of these items has actually become one of the major contributing factors of home fires.
If you choose to use an alternate heating source keep these safety tips in mind:
• Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from the furnace, stove or space heaters.
• Have a kid free zone around open fires and space heaters.
• Always use the right kind of fuel specified by the manufacturer for fuel burning space heaters.
• Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
During the holidays there is an additional fire risk when using alternate heating sources due to the use of trees, gift-wrap, and stockings.
• If purchasing a holiday tree make sure to place it away from fireplaces, radiators or portable heaters.
• Don’t burn gift-wrapping paper in the fireplace. Doing so can result in a flash fire because the wrapping paper can ignite suddenly and burn intensely.
• Hang stockings at least three feet from heat sources.
There are many ways to lessen the overall risk of heating fires in your home,
Having a professional install heating equipment according to local codes and manufacturer’s instructions is a great first step. Yearly professional chimney cleanings and inspections are essential. Test smoke alarms monthly and last but not least never use your oven to heat your home.
If you’re looking for ways to lower your energy costs, contact A.J. Perri today. We offer energy efficient heating systems that will fit every budget and meet every comfort expectation.
Last Updated: June 09, 2023