If you are like most people, you spend the majority of your time in the areas of your home that are the most comfortable. Wouldn’t it be wonderful on a hot muggy night to just set a thermostat in your bedroom to 73 degrees and get a sound sleep – instead of moving to the downstairs couch to cool off! What if you could control the level of comfort in every part of the home and not have areas that are too hot or too cold?
Zoning systems help divide up your home into specific zones that are controlled separately, resulting in greater comfort no matter where you are.
What a Zoning System does
A forced air zoning system uses multiple thermostats and automatic dampers in your home’s ductwork, to intelligently control the airflow to every register in your home. It directs the heated or cooled air only to the areas that require it. Since one thermostat is not “smart” enough to adequately sense your comfort needs everywhere throughout your home, a zoning system puts a thermostat in all the different areas of your home to guide the air exactly where it needs to be and stop it from going where it is no longer needed.
You will benefit from a Zoned System if …
- Your home is more than one level
- You have vaulted ceilings, lofts, or a sunroom
- Your home has a bonus room off the back or over the garage
- You have rooms in the basement or attic that are finished
- Your home has a room or rooms with extensive glass areas
- You require different temperatures in different areas of the home for different family members
- You have different heating and cooling temperature needs at different times of the day (may be due to “sun heat” on one side of your home)
- A portion of the home is built over a concrete slab floor
- Your home goes in many directions like a ranch or has wings extending off the main living area
Benefits of a Zoned System
- Increased Comfort. You can “zone” each room or floor in your home to fit your own specific heating and cooling needs. This will eliminate hot and cold spots from every area of your home and enhance your comfort throughout, regardless of home size, type or design.
- Efficiency & Savings. Eliminate paying for heating or cooling your whole house when you’re only using a portion of it at any given time. Zoning system allows you to tailor your energy use to your lifestyle, saving you money. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, zoning, combined with a programmable thermostat strategy, can save you up to 30% on your energy bills.