You can’t see home comfort or touch it, but we all know what it feels like when we don’t have it.
Whether you’re replacing your old air conditioning system or remodeling a bathroom, A.J. Perri can help. First, you need the right contractor. With so many contractors to choose from out there how do you know if you are making the right choice for your home improvement project?
A.J. Perri is New Jersey’s premier home comfort specialists; and, with the cooperation of your local Better Business Bureau, we gathered ten time-tested tips for selecting the best contractor for your project.
- Don’t make any decisions before you check with your local Better Business Bureau and affiliated state and community agencies for a company history of complaints and resolutions to make sure the dealer is reputable.
- Always ask for references: Current customers are an excellent source of information and are often willing to share their experiences.
- Check local licenses: Ask to see any applicable state and local licenses, bonding, and insurance coverage.
- Get a detailed written proposal: A detailed written proposal is one sign of a quality contractor. Beware of a dealer that does not back-up their offer in a detailed written proposal.
- Heat loss-heat gain calculation: Expect a thorough calculation performed with an on-site evaluation. A good contractor should measure your home, check insulation factors and evaluate your overall comfort needs.
- Equipment/labor warranties and guarantees: Warranties and guarantees vary according to manufacturer and dealer. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and demand that they are included in the written estimate.
- Ask your contractor about the maintenance requirements of your new system: What can you do yourself and/or does the contractor offer maintenance services? A maintenance agreement is one of the best ways to ensure your system's performance, reliability and safety.
- Know and understand the contract: Beware of ambiguous contracts and again, ask lots of questions. It is very important to understand all aspects of the agreement with your contractor before any work begins.
The Consequences of Choosing the Wrong Contractor:
- By selecting a qualified heating, cooling, and plumbing contractor you will avoid many of the common home improvement hazards including:
- Frequent system breakdowns
- Improper installation
- Unsafe and/or inefficient operation
- Shortened equipment life
- Lack of timely service
- Unusually high energy bills
- Voiding of factory warranties
- Theft, property damage or worse
- Building Code Infractions and penalties
A.J. Perri is among New Jersey’s largest and most trusted home comfort specialists, and we encourage our customers to do their homework. We’re confident that, in the end, we can earn your business and help you avoid the perils of selecting the wrong contractor. There are no shortcuts when it comes to selecting the right contractor; however, given the opportunity, we hope to earn your business.
Ask An Expert
When you have a question about cooling, heating, or plumbing matters, Ask an Expert! A.J. Perri has answers to all the stuff behind the wall that keeps your home running smoothly.