A clogged drain can be so frustrating; and, of course, it happens more often than we care to think about! Usually, kitchen sink drains clog because of a build-up of grease. The grease traps food particles, which eventually clogs the drain. Now, the bathroom drains are a different story. They are usually clogged by hair and soap. So, take some simple precautions to avoid this situation.
- Don't pour grease down the kitchen sink.
- Don't wash coffee grounds down the sink.
- Use chemical cleaners only when necessary. Some chemicals can corrode metal pipes.
- Clean tub and shower drain strainers that are removable.
- Clean pop-up stoppers in the bathroom sink and the tub regularly. Lift out sink pop-ups once a week and rinse them off.
- Every few months, remove the overflow plate on a tub and pull up the pop-up assembly to reach the spring or rocker arm. Remove accumulated hair and rinse thoroughly.
- Keep sewer pipes from the house free of tree roots.
- Flush the drain-waste and vent systems when you’re on the roof cleaning out your gutters. Use your hose to run water into all of the vents.
Have a question for one of our experts? Ask us today!