Regular maintenance on the major systems in your home, heating & cooling, and plumbing, is one of the most important money-saving practices for home ownership. Maintenance helps your systems to work at peak efficiency year in and year out – and helps to saves you money in lower heating and cooling costs. A system that is maintained annually will also experience considerably fewer breakdowns, helping reduce the need for and cost of unnecessary repairs.
Do you think the cost of maintenance is too much?
One reason many avoid routine maintenance to their heating & cooling system is the expected high cost of doing so. Due to this fear, many homeowners wait until their home air conditioner won’t cool or their furnace won’t ignite before they call their HVAC service company. At this point not only do they have to typically pay more for repair or replacement than they would have for regular maintenance, but may also find themselves waiting around on the hottest (or coldest) day of the year when their service company is backed up with so many other calls. Having your heating & cooling system put on a yearly schedule saves time and money. Regular maintenance will pay for itself in lower repair costs and more efficient operation.
Here are some reasons why it’s important to maintain your heating and cooling system:
- Your heating and cooling system becomes less efficient and reliable as it accumulates dust and dirt throughout the year – which costs you money in increased utility and repair bills. In fact, as much as half of your energy used in your home goes to heating and cooling. It stands to reason that making smart decisions regarding your heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system can have a large effect on your heating and cooling bills.
- If the HVAC unit is not running properly it may be working too hard, resulting in inconsistent air temperatures and reduced comfort.
- Most manufacturers require routine maintenance in order to validate the warranty. Without regular maintenance you may be invalidating your warranty! Routine maintenance will protect you from major system repairs and maintain your manufacturer's warranty, so if you do have a problem you’ll still be covered.
- Part of your yearly inspection involves lubricating all moving parts. Parts that lack lubrication cause resistance in motors and increase the amount of electricity you use. This resistance can also cause equipment to wear out more quickly, requiring more frequent repairs or replacements.
- When it’s properly maintained, you can add several years (3-5 years in some cases) to the life of your heating and air conditioning system, adding years of efficient use.
- Another part of system maintenance is inspecting the blower components, cleaning and adjusting them. Doing so helps to insure proper airflow for greater comfort levels. Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent.
For more information about our maintenance programs, contact us. We offer plans that include heating, cooling, and plumbing, to keep all of your home comfort systems working properly year round.